Enquire About Vacancies In Our Care Home Now

Care Home Fees Southampton

Avon Park Care Homebelieves that choosing the right care home for ourselves or a loved one is not something which many of us have experience. There will be plenty of things to think about and this may be overwhelming. Fully understanding what the States provides and being certain about costs and affordability is essential for all involved. Seeking the right advice is important.

Care Home Fees  in Southampton 

Who qualifies for local authority financial assistance?

Avon Park Care Home understands  that,If you have been assessed as needing a care home and your capital is below £23,250, you should be entitled to financial assistance from your local authority. If you have capital below £14.250 you will be entitled to maximum support although you will still contribute your income less personal expenses of £23.90 per week.

A reducing scale of support applies between £14,250 and £23,250. Based on the person contributing £1 a week for every £250 in assets over £14,250. So someone with assets of £18,000 would be expected to contribute £15 per week (£3,750 ÷ £250 ×£1= £15) towards care.

If your assets, which may include your property, are calculated to be above £23,250 you will, in most cases, be expected to pay for your own care.

Avon Park Care Home are informed that, where Local Authority are paying for the cost of care, you will still have a choice of care home, this could be in your own town or even is a different county. The home must be suitable for your needs, and comply with any terms and conditions set by the authority, and are willing to take local authority rates.

If the home costs more than the Local authority is prepared to pay, the local authority will allow the fees to be topped by a third party as long as they are able to maintain the payments. You are not allowed to top the fees up yourself from your capital of £23,250.

Care Home Fees in Southampton 

Self Funding - If you are self- funding your care because you not eligible for local authority funding, there are other forms of financial assistance you may be entitled to.

Social Services will pay your fees while you are selling your home.

If apart from your property, your capital is below £23,250 Social Services will help with the costs during the first twelve weeks of care (This is known as twelve weeks disregard). After that period any financial help will be charged against the value of your property and is recoverable from the eventual sale proceeds.

You do not have to sell your property Social Services can lend you the money for your care charged against the value of your property.

You could consider moving into a care home and letting your property. However, this might not provide a high enough level of income to meet the cost of fees, and you will still be responsible for the costs of maintaining the property.

If your property is left empty while you are living in a care home you should receive full exemption from Council Tax until it is sold.

Avon Park Care Home understands  that, there are also other means of financial help.

Attendance Allowance If you are self-funding, Attendance Allowance is a non-means tested, non-taxable allowance paid at the lower rate of £53.00 per week for those needing care by day or night and, at a higher rate of £79.15 per week for people needing a higher level of care. If you are receiving nursing care in a care home you may be entitled to NHS Funded Nursing Care, which will contribute towards the cost of your nursing care. This is an amount of £109.79 per week is paid by the NHS direct to the home as a contribution towards the weekly fees. If your needs are primarily nursing, you may be entitled to full funding from your local Primary Care Trust.

You will need to Keep a close check on your capital. Once your capital reduces to £23,250 you can apply to your local authority for financial assistance. If the home fees are more than what the local authority pays, you may be able to negotiate a less costly accommodation with home. Also check with the home owners to see if they can continue to accommodate you at social services rates may be with a top-up.

There are other ways of meeting care costs for as long as you need care whilst using up only part of your capital.

Avon Park Care Homebelieves  that the following options  may also worth considering.

Own income: You may receive sufficient income from pensions and existing savings and investments to pay for care in full, “or as a top-up”

Family contribution: Your family may be able to cover some or all of the cost, or difference in cost, as a “top-up”

Savings accounts: This includes money held in deposit accounts, cash, individual Savings Accounts (ISAs) and National Savings.

Investments: There are many possibilities here, from investment bonds to units and shares (However, these are not without risks)

Care Fees Plans (also known as Immediate Needs Annuities): These are specialist insurance plans designed to convert capital into income to help meet care fees. In return for a one-off lump sum you receive a guaranteed tax free income for life. Thus enabling a potential inheritance to be left for your family from any remaining funds after the purchase of the annuity.

Speak to a specialist care funding adviser who will be able to advise you on your options for funding your care. Please investigate whether an Immediate Needs Care Fee Annuity would be an option for you.

For information  fees at Avon Park Care Home are currently:

First floor rooms from £680 per week

Ground floor rooms from £750 per week

Patio door rooms from £780 per week

click here to return to the top

Book A Visit To View Our Care ​Home Facilites